Tag Archives: metabolic rate

Understanding your metabolism

November 5, 2012

0 Comments

by Jackie Dorman —  These calories are the measure of energy used by highly active tissues, such as the heart, brain, kidneys, liver and gastrointestinal tract, to keep the body’s internal activities functioning. For most people, RMR (resting metabolic rate) accounts for 75 percent of the total calories expended in a day. The remaining 25 percent […]

Continue reading...

Stress, exercise, aging and the metabolic syndrome

September 9, 2012

0 Comments

by Dr. Thomas Alexander —  If a patient with insulin resistance were to ask me, “Doc, give me just one thing I can do to improve my insulin resistance,” I would probably have to say, “Exercise.” Since the word exercise can have many negative connotations, let’s use the term physical activity instead. When we were […]

Continue reading...

You are not your weight

August 23, 2012

0 Comments

by Irene Conlan —  Weight loss is a doozy of a challenge. In my years of therapy practice, I have come to believe it is the single most complex issue I deal with because it has so many components, appearing on a number of levels. It certainly affects us physically; that is a given. But […]

Continue reading...
Web Analytics